A Career as a Nurse Practitioner
A Nurse Practitioner (NP), also referred to as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner, is a Registered Nurse who has received advanced training and education that allows them to provide a broad array of patient-centred primary and acute care services. They can also offer preventive care services like screenings for children and adults. NPs work in collaboration with other members of the health care team to provide optimal care for patients across their lifespan and in various settings including hospitals, clinics, patients’ homes, schools, and workplaces with an overall goal of improving outcomes and reducing unnecessary costs.
The Job Role
- Perform quality, comprehensive, patient-centred healthcare evaluations, and treatment.
- Deliver or delegate clinical duties, such as patient assessments, procedures, and treatments.
- Manage direct patient care including medication administration, transporting patients and with daily care.
- Schedule, prepare, and manage nursing staff, including training, scheduling, and performance evaluations.
- Develop and supervise staff.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in nursing required.
- At least 1 years’ experience as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Advanced nursing skills, including the ability to administer medications and injections, recognise vital signs and diagnose.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with patients, families, physicians, and staff.